There are times when Eron and I kill in the kitchen and Sunday night was no exception. We started the night off right with Filet Mignon with a blue cheese, sage, butter sauce and baked potatoes. I won't lie, it was amazing, but dessert was what brought it over the top.
I have these moments when I really want to be Suzie Homemaker, it's usually when I'm fighting the urge to be Suzie Homemaker. My thought process goes something like this - Oh. I'm home alone and there are a million chores to do? Laundry, vacuuming, dishes... I don't want to do those! I'll bake something instead!! ...This is how I ended up making chocolate chip cookies one weekend and bacon cheddar biscuits the next. Yes. I said bacon cheddar biscuits. You should make them. Use salted butter. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Sunday, as the laundry was sitting in a heap and dishes were piled in the sink, I got it into my head that I wanted to make an amazing dessert. It honestly started with an inkling of an idea that I needed to run to the store to pick up a pound cake or something, because we had strawberries that I didn't want to go bad. But then I thought, what the heck, I'll just make something. Strawberry and Rhubarb Shortcake with homemade whipped cream, anyone? That's what I thought. So instead of picking up just pound cake, I pick up rhubarb, whipping cream, half and half and a handful of other necessities.
I went with this for the strawberries and rhubarb:
Strawberry rhubarb shortcake
This for the shortcakes:
Individual Strawberry Shortcakes
and this for the whipped cream:
Whipped Cream
I've never worked with rhubarb before and I was under the assumption that I could cut it up, toss it with some sugar, let it sit and call it a night. Wrong. Turns out that it needs to be cooked. While the process scared the crap outta me, it was pretty simple. Rhubarb, sugar, lemon and cinnamon. Done. I did opt not to cook the strawberries, cooked strawberries don't appeal to me. And I was hoping for a nice contrast of texture between the now, jam like rhubarb and the fresh strawberries. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think it turned out pretty darn well.
No comments:
Post a Comment